It’s only natural that everyone wants to know what everyone else is doing. Building an effective enterprise social technology strategy means looking into what other companies have deployed and whether or not they have seen positive results from their efforts. However, I’ve come to the realization that it is actually somewhat difficult to find a really good collection of case studies for enterprise 2.0 or information on what other companies have done to integrate social technologies within internal communications. With that in mind, I decided to put together some of the case studies and research I have found in my own search. The credit for many of the items on this list really goes to Jacob Morgan, who performed or found some of the case studies for his own blog, Jacob Morgan: Social Media Globetrotter. Please feel free to submit additional resources and I will gladly add them to this list.
- 2009/2010 Communication ROI Study Report: Capitalizing on Effective Communication [TowersWatson]
- How to use social media to solve critical internal communication issues [Melcrum]
- Social Media Survey 2010 [Melcrum]
- Behind the Firewall: Internal Communications 2009 [Society for New Communications Research Awards]
Case study submissions on how an organization is using new communication and/or social media tools internally to enhance employee communications, or corporate culture, employee training and education. etc.
- Don’t Be Afraid of Social Media: Smart and Simple Ways to Use These Tools for Benefits Communication [Benz Communications]
- Social software in a corporate context: the BT experience [Melcrum]
- How Microsoft has incorporated new media tools in internal communication [Melcrum]
- Connecting IBMers across the globe with Social Media [Melcrum]
- How IBM Uses Social Media to Spur Employee Innovation [Social Media Examiner]
- UBM Case Study shows cash benefits of Enterprise social media [The Parallax View]
- Internal Communications in a Downturn at TVNZ [New Zealand Broadcasting company]
- TELUS Embraces Social Computing, Streamlines Formal Learning [Microsoft Case Study]
- Effective Collaboration Using Social Media: A Social Media Experiment at Suncorp [2010 Ark Group Presentation]
- Case Study: Booz Allen [The FASTforward Blog, Bill Ives]
Booz Allen developed and implemented Hello, a suite of web-based enterprise tools designed to strengthen collaboration, connectivity, and communication across geographical and cultural barriers.
- Implementing Enterprise 2.0 at Booz Allen: Part One Overview of Business Drivers and Components
- Implementing Enterprise 2.0 at Booz Allen: Part Two – Change Management Efforts and Results
- Implementing Enterprise 2.0 at Booz Allen: Part Three – Operational Impact
- Implementing Enterprise 2.0 at Booz Allen: Part Four – Financial Impact
- Implementing Enterprise 2.0 at Booz Allen: Part Five – Lessons Learned
- Implementing Enterprise 2.0 at Booz Allen: Part Six – Plans for Enhancements
- Case Study: Océ; a printing company with over 21,000 employees around the world [Jacob Morgan Marketing]
- Implementing Enterprise 2.0 at Océ, Part One: Business Drivers
- Implementing Enterprise 2.0 at Océ Part Two: Making the Push
- Implementing Enterprise 2.0 at Océ Part Three: Change Management
- Implementing Enterprise 2.0 at Océ Part Four: Operational and Financial Impact
- Implementing Enterprise 2.0 at Océ Part Five: Lessons Learned and Future Plans
- Case Study: Vistaprint, an online supplier of printed and promotional material as well as marketing services, and is one of the fastest growing printing companies in North America [Jacob Morgan Marketing]
- Case Study: Intuit, a software company with 8,000 employee’s worldwide that develops tax and financial solutions for consumers, small businesses, financial institutions, and health-care organizations [Jacob Morgan Marketing]
- Implementing Enterprise 2.0 at Intuit, Part One: Business Drivers
- Implementing Enterprise 2.0 at Intuit, Part Two: Change Management
- Implementing Enterprise 2.0 at Intuit, Part Three: Cultural and Organizational Shifts
- Implementing Enterprise 2.0 at Intuit, Part Four: Technology Adoption and Encouraging Use
- Implementing Enterprise 2.0 at Intuit, Part Five: Operational Impact and Lessons Learned
Also from Jacob Morgan Marketing:
- A collection of around 30 Enterprise 2.0 case studies from Social Text that features companies such as the Acumen Fund, TransUnion, and Citrix.
- Here is an interesting presentation of an Enterprise 2.0 case study by Scott Gavin.
- Another great post by Bill Ives of Enterprise 2.0 examples in the food industry.
- Yes, another post by Bill Ives citing what Vista Print has been doing with Enterprise 2.0 knowledge sharing.
- A short but sweet collection of around 10 Enterprise 2.0 examples and stories, thanks to Online Sapiens.
- An interesting look at Enterprise 2.0 following Zappos, ZDNet-Zappos-SR, it’s a PDF.
- A handful of great case studies from the E20 portal.
- A great white paper directly from Intel on developing an Enterprise social computing strategy.
- Andrew McAfee highlighted what Avenue A was doing with Enterprise 2.0 internally in 2006
- If you like pizza and beer then this Enterprise 2.0 case study is great for you. Thanks for the tip gustavjonsson
- A quick run through of a few Enterprise 2.0 case studies, nothing too detailed but good overviews…actually they look more like conference notes
- A great article from CIO.com on companies that have introduced web 2.0 into the enterprise, kudos to Dion Hinchliffe for being sited
- Solid Case study on Enterprise 2.0 from IBS complete with charts and graphs, thanks to Rickard Hansson